Professional Background and Interests
- 20+ years of statistical consulting experience
- Author of two statistical patents (under review) for analyzing pharmaceutical databases
- Member of the Decision and System Sciences Advisory Board, Saint Joseph’s University
- Former Vice President, Advanced Analytics for a market research/IT consulting firm
- Sole developer of a proprietary statistical model – RPM™ (RONIN Predictive Model) well-suited for analyzing the non-parametric and non-linear complexities of Internet data
- Former Vice President for Research and Information Technology at a market research firm specializing in educational consulting
- Former full-time college professor specializing in teaching and applying statistical methods
- Extensive experience in designing studies, creating databases, conducting analyses, reporting and implementing findings
- Ten published studies (available upon request) and 16 professional conference presentations involving sophisticated research design and statistical analysis
- Item writer (1992-1994) for the Educational Testing Service’s GRE Psychology Subject Test
- Developer of a simplified statistical software package in VisualBasic for research methods and statistics students
- Proficient (decades of experience) with IBM’s statistical software package SPSS
- Considerable experience with the following advanced statistics and procedures:
- Decision trees including Chi-squared Automatic Interaction Detector (CHAID), and Exhaustive CHAID, both effective for consumer profiling and market segmentation
- Non-parametric statistics, with particular emphasis on categorical analysis
- Numerous types of multiple regression including linear, partial least squares (PLS), non-linear, logistic and multinomial logistic
- Conjoint (w/simulation) & hybrid designs
- Tradeoff analyses, including Conjoint and Discrete Choice and related adaptive designs
- Discriminant Analysis
- Cluster Analysis
- Factor Analysis, Principal Components Analysis (PCA)
- Correspondence Analysis
- TURF (Total Unduplicated Reach and Frequency) Analysis
- Trend Analysis
- Analysis of Variance (ANOVA); Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA)
- Multivariate Analysis of Variance (MANOVA); Multivariate Analysis of Covariance (MANCOVA)
- Repeated measures applications for each of the above ANOVA procedures
- Missing data imputation methods
- Optimization, including resource, pricing and discounting
- Dynamic pricing
- Developing proprietary advanced predictive models
- Building simulators (usually in Excel with a Visual Basic interface) to test different scenarios in the marketplace
- Rule & algorithm creation for apps
- Preference/recommendation engine algorithm creation, development and deployment
- Quantifying social media impact on purchase behavior
- Creating machine learning algorithms to maximize predictive accuracy
- Market sizing
- Marketing mix modeling
04/2002 – Present
Advanced Analytic Solutions – Newtown, PA
- Independent statistical consultant specializing in helping companies segment, profile, and predict the behavior of their key consumers through a variety of data science techniques, including the development of predictive models to patents.
- Heavy emphasis in recent years on large-scale quantitative projects for top pharmaceutical and CPG companies:
→Pharma engagements include doctor and patient data analysis across major therapeutic areas, optimal medical device configuration, and developing a predictive algorithm for a pharmaceutical mobile application
→CPG projects include sophisticated simulators to optimize product features for a variety of goods & services and developing predictive analytics to maximize the uptake of those goods & services
01/2001 – 04/2002
IMS HEALTH (now IQVIA) (www.IQVIA.com)
A Fortune 1000 data vendor and consultancy for the pharmaceutical industry in over 90 countries
Director, Advanced Analytics, Statistical Services Department
- Lead the statistical development of advanced analytics supporting sales force effectiveness and market research applications for pharmaceutical clients.
- Developed two patents (under review) in the areas of predictive modeling and targeting analytics, respectively, on prescription databases.
- Developed and implemented IMS HEALTH’s psychographics practice for major pharmaceutical clients resulting in significant revenue for IMS’ Consulting division.
05/1999 – 11/2000
RONIN Corporation (www.ronin.com)
A market research/IT consulting firm in Princeton, NJ and London, UK
Vice President, Advanced Analytics
- Consulted with project teams based in the US and the UK on sampling, design, and higher-order analysis for a wide range of global and domestic research engagements for clients including IBM, Microsoft, Dell, Xerox, HP, Verizon, and major .coms.
- Developed a proprietary statistical model called RPM™ (RONIN Predictive Model) to help account for the non-parametric and non-linear complexities of IT and Web data.
- Key participant in corporate sales presentations and results presentations to clients.
- Provided statistical training to the research staff and kept the sales force abreast of new developments and tools from RONIN Research Services.
- Participated with CEO and Executive VP in strategic planning for RONIN Research Services.
09/1997 – 05/1999
Statistical Analysis and Design Services – Andover, MA
- Independent statistical consultant who specialized in helping companies turn data into business results through consumer profiling and predictive modeling.
- Clients included market research, e-commerce, and other Web-based companies.
01/1996 – 08/1997
An educational consulting firm in Bedford, MA
Vice President for Research and Information Technology
- Directed the research operations of the company.
- Supervised four project managers in research design, instrument development, and analysis.
- Constructed, maintained, and analyzed large databases.
- Ensured the appropriate selection and use of statistical analyses and procedures across all company projects.
- Created a financial aid leveraging product to predict a student’s probability of enrolling at a particular college or university, based on numerous financial, demographic, and student-related variables.
- Oversaw the purchasing, implementation, and maintenance of company-wide technologies.
09/1991 – 12/1995
Merrimack College – North Andover, MA
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Taught a variety of quantitative courses, including Statistics and Research Methods
- Taught Introduction to Psychology and Developmental Psychology courses
- Conducted research while remaining actively involved in statistical consulting
- Published six studies (available upon request) across a variety of psychology journals
01/1989 – 08/1991
Data Integrity – Philadelphia, PA
- One of two partners specializing in personal computer and network consulting on IBM-based systems.
- Built and installed numerous PCs for single users and created multi-user environments for small applications.
- Temple University: 1985 – 1991, Ph.D. in Psychology
- University of Oklahoma: 1983 – 1985, MS in Psychology
- Syracuse University: 1979 – 1983, BA in Psychology & Economics (double major)
Relevant Honors and Awards
- 1996: Selected for inclusion in the fourth edition of WHO’S WHO AMONG AMERICA’S TEACHERS
- 1991: Marianthi Georgoudi Award presented annually for the outstanding doctoral dissertation among Temple University’s five psychology divisions
- Through various scholarships and fellowships, all tuition and living expenses were covered during graduate school.
Recent Presentations of Interest
- Open-source Statistical Packages: The True Cost of “Free” Software, Richard D. Pollack, Ronald K. Klimberg and Susan H. Boklage, paper presentation at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, November 3, 2015.
- Clinical Characteristics of Patients with Siadh Who Respond to Fluid Restriction in the Management of Hyponatremia from a Global Registry (Poster Presentation), 4th author with Joseph Verbalis, MD, Susan Boklage and Joseph Chiodo III, at the joint meeting of the International Society of Endocrinology and The Endocrine Society: ICE/ENDO, Chicago, IL, June 22, 2014.
- Data Mining Challenges and Solutions (invited address), Saint Joseph’s University Semiannual Business Intelligence Speaker Event, Philadelphia, PA, March 7, 2011.
- Dramatically Enhancing the ROI of Patient Level Data: Employing Under-Utilized Data Sources, CBI’s 4th Annual Forum on Anonymous Patient-Level Data and Analysis, Philadelphia, PA, June 12, 2006.
- Future Directions of Data Mining in the Classroom and in the Real-World (Panel Discussion), The 34th Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Washington, D.C., November 24, 2003.
- Psychographics and Data Mining, The 34th Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Washington, D.C., November 23, 2003.
- Data Mining-Statistical Modeling Techniques that Work, CBI’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) for the Pharmaceutical Industry Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October 29, 2001.
- Developing Advanced Predictive Forecasting Methodologies To Evaluate Which Customers Are Most Profitable And Those That Are Likely To Churn, Vision in Business Limited Conference on Market Forecasting & Revenue Modeling in Telecoms, London, England, July 12, 2000.
- Turning Your Web Site Into A Sophisticated Sales Agent, IIR Optimizing Online & Offline Campaign Implementation Conference, NYC, NY, February 29, 2000.
- Adaptive Predictive Technology On The Web, presented as part of The Next Twenty Years Conference Series at Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, England, September 29, 1999.
- Turning Data Into Strategic Marketing Tools Through Consumer Profiling & Predictive Modeling, IIR Market Forecasting for Telecoms Operators & Manufacturers Conference, London, England, September 28, 1999.
Recent Publications of Interest
- Klimberg, R., Pollack, R. and Herschel, R. (2017). Why We Need Analytics Grand Rounds. In K. Lawrence and R. Klimberg (Eds). Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining: Volume 3. Information Age Publishing, Inc., Charlotte, NC.
- Pollack, Richard D., Klimberg, Ronald K. and Boklage, Susan H. (October, 2015). The True Cost of “Free” Statistical Software. In ORMS Today, Lionheart Publishing, Inc., Marietta, GA.
- Pollack, R. D. (2008). Data Mining: Common Definitions, Applications, and Misunderstandings. In K. Lawrence, S. Kudyba, and R. Klimberg (Eds). Data Mining Methods and Applications. Auerbach Publications, Boston, MA.
- Pollack, Rick (April/May 2007). Enhancing Web Analytics with Techniques that Actually Work. In PDMA Direct Views: An Official Publication of the Philadelphia Direct Marketing Association.
- Pollack, Richard D. and Wynne, Brian. SYSTEM AND METHODS FOR GENERATING PHYSICIAN PROFILES CONCERNING PRESCRIPTION THERAPY PRACTICES WITH SELF-ADAPTIVE PREDICTIVE MODEL. (United States Patent Application 20040249669)
- Downey, Timothy W. and Pollack, Richard D. SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR IDENTIFYING AND MEASURING PERFORMANCE DISCREPANCIES AMONG SALES TERRITORIES. (United States Patent Application 20060190318)